Zesty Garlic Bread

Fresh garlic bread is so much tastier than the frozen stuff and so incredibly easy to make that it boggles my mind why the frozen stuff continues to exist.

As far as bread choices go, I find that day-old sweet batard works best (the slight staleness absorbs butter better on the inside and crisps up better on the outside...and I LOVE sweet batard). In a pinch though, fresh bread still works. And for simpler souls, french bread or sourdough are just fine.



Ingredients
1 loaf batard, halved and cut lengthwise
2 whole bulbs garlic, finely minced
2 sticks unsalted butter
2 lemons, zested

Steps
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easier cleanup.
2. Cut the bread lengthwise. Then I typically cut it once again in the other direction so that I have four open-faced pieces which will fit nicely on the baking sheet. If you don't own a solid bread knife, just ask the bakery to do this for you.
3. Mince the garlic. All of it. I like to use enough to cover the entire face of the bread and have a mini food processor handy just for this recipe =)
4. Melt the butter in the microwave.
5. Stir the minced garlic into the melted butter and let sit for a few minutes for better infusion.
6. Spoon the garlic butter generously over the bread.
7. Zest one lemon over the bread.
8. Bake 12-15 minutes until lightly browned and the garlic is cooked.
9. Broil for 1-2 minutes, watching carefully to achieve perfect browning without burning.
10. Zest the second lemon over the freshly-baked bread for garnish and added aroma.

If you find yourself with unused, leftover bread, try the Italian dipping oil the next day. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts